Sunday, February 13, 2011

Interviewing New Teacher by Gustavo Alonso

I interviewed a new language teacher at B-CC about his orientation to the county. He said that he didn't have much in terms of orientation because he had to attend the professional week and then one day in which veteran teachers decorate their classrooms and get ready to start the new year he had to attend some new teacher workshops. He is only part-time so he doesn't have to attend regular meetings and in-house training workshops the full-time teachers attend, but he was assigned a veteran teacher to help him. In addition, as part of my internship, I am also his mentor, so he has two veteran teachers helping him and tracking his progress (although I am not performing an evaluative role). Before he started teaching at the school, he had already been working there as substitute teacher for more than 2 years, so everyone knew him already, and he knew the school well. The first marking period was a little rocky in terms of classroom management, but he's doing great now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.